Effective Organizational Communication Perspective In the Work Place – Boomers, Generation X, Millennial and iGeneration
The interpretive view of any functional organizational communication perspective is centered on communicative interactions in the workplace.
The role of any organizational communication perspective serves to create and maintain work relationships among the team and organizational members, and between those members and key organizational stakeholders.
- Best and effective organizational communication perspective that works across generations in the workplace
- Evaluation of Interaction Between Individuals in an Organization
- Case of Boomers, Generation X, and Millennial Organizational Communication Perspective
- Approaches to Organizational Communication
- 5 Fascinating Fool-proof Organizational Communization Facts
- Organizational Communication Perspective Coexistence
- Application of Organizational Communication Perspectives
- Effective organizational communication
Best and effective organizational communication perspective that works across generations in the workplace
What is the fact?
Live, share and learn the art of true deep listening.
The main keys are honesty and humility.
Cultivate good filters in the mind.
Conquer and tame the ego.
If words and actions pass from your lips, sights and tapping words in the keyboard, don’t forget to ask first,
“Is it true, necessary and kind?”
– Angelica Hopes
When communication reveals shared values and reflects common commitments to organizational goals, coworkers to forge and sustain productive relationships in an organization. Communication has direct and indirect effects on the team and organizational performance.
Coworkers’ satisfaction and productivity are affected by individual differences in communication. These are in turn influenced by the interactions and relationships in the workplace.
Effective leadership begins with effective communication.
– Asa Don Brown
No matter what the operational scale of an organization, business enterprise, or company is, it can succeed and overcome all sorts of internal misunderstandings as well as external operations only with successful communication strategies. Utilizing effective organizational communication perspectives:
- Builds good teams
- Enhances relationships within the company and with clients
- Increases employee engagement and the overall effectiveness of a team.
Evaluation of Interaction Between Individuals in an Organization
Thus, most common organizational communication perspectives refer to the different approaches to evaluating the interactions between individuals working in an organization. Different schools of thought have researched thoroughly on types of organizational communication. In our case, we will address what applies to horizontal/lateral and vertical communication.
Horizontal communication – Lateral communication
Horizontal communication is lateral or diagonal message exchange either within work-unit boundaries. It involves peers who report to the same supervisor. It can also be peers who work across unit boundaries but report to different supervisors.
In information flows between persons holding the same position in an organization. Horizontal communication helps to share ideas, wishes, information, and attitude between peers and colleagues.
It promotes mutual understanding, ensuring cross-functional coordination because of departments or units of an organization who are at or about the same hierarchical level as each other coordinate activities, efforts, or fulfill a common purpose or goal.
Vertical communication is the opposite of horizontal communication.
In an organization, vertical communication flows up and down through the organization’s hierarchical structure, from the general workforce up through middle management and higher management, and back down again.
Case of Boomers, Generation X, and Millennial Organizational Communication Perspective
Which organizational communication examples work best for boomers, Gen-X, and millennials?
- Boomers are ambitious workaholics. They are critical of coworkers who do not share these values.
- Generation X workers are skeptical. They like to work autonomously and notoriously. They also dislike meetings and group work.
- Millennials, born between 1979 and 1994, have distinctive characteristics that may make interacting with them different from previous generations. Though each generation has arrived in the workplace with its own unique set of qualities, the Millennials have received phenomenal attention from social media, the popular press, the popular literature, their parents, and scholars.
Related organizational communication perspective research: Book Review Demystifying HR Concepts For Present-Day Organization Culture – Collaborate, Engage, Retain Gen Y
Approaches to Organizational Communication
Can you say that, at least one of your organizational communication perspective flow is seamless? Why is organizational communication important? Being a process, organizational communication is best understood by three different approaches:
- Emerging organizational communication perspectives
Which. then. is the best organizational communication definition? Organizational communication means the sharing of information between people in a business establishment.
It is this type of communication that enables the organization to stay organized.
In the words of Henry John Heinz,
“To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success.”
Many companies are losing money due to poor communication.
5 Fascinating Fool-proof Organizational Communization Facts
A survey of 400 companies with 100,000 employees cited an average loss per company of $62.4 million per year from inadequate communication to and between employees (Source: David Grossman. 2011)
A business with 100 employees spends an average downtime of 17 hours a week clarifying communication, translating to an annual cost of $528,443
People do not like their jobs due to poor communication, lack of direction from management, and constant change that is not well communicated (About.com)
Businesses with effective communication practices are over 50 percent more likely to report employee turnover levels below the industry average. (Watson Wyatt)
Companies with highly effective communications are three and a half times more likely to significantly outperform their industry peers than firms that are not effective. (Towers Watson 2013-2014 Change and Communication ROI Study Report)
Organizational communication is either formal or informal. In starting up a small business, the tendency is to communicate informally.
As the business unit thrives, scales, and succeeds, it takes on a more formal structure.
Organizational Communication Perspective Coexistence
How do you reach the goals of individuals within the organization or the organization as a collective group? This is best explained by how communication works in organizations.
The four perspectives of organizational communication include:
- Information transfer
- Transactional process
- Strategic control
- A balance of creativity and constraint (Sotirin, 2014)
These famous organizational communication perspectives may coexist simultaneously within firm.
Application of Organizational Communication Perspectives
1. Transfer of Information
Sotirin (2014) defines information transfer as the exchange of information.
You use this point of view verbally as you transit meaning through words when dealing with your clients using preferred communication modes. It does not account for non-verbal communication.
As your company grows, how you communicate information has to evolve, too.
– Claire Hughes Johnson
Please Tweet!As your company grows, how you communicate information has to evolve, too. Claire Hughes Johnson bit.ly/3b8BNBy #thextraordinarionly #communication #information Click To Tweet
2. Senders and Receivers of Transactional Communication
On the other hand, in the transactional process of the complex organizational communication perspective, there exist simultaneous senders and receivers. In our organization at ThExtraordinariOnly, we all are engaged in sending, encoding, receiving, and decoding messages.
The provision for feedback and clarification is clear, especially face-to-face, zoom meetings, and emails.
If you want to properly tell a story, you have to be willing to write it a thousand ways.
And then you must be brave enough to share it with others.
– Ami McKay
3. Strategic Control of Communication in Organizations
This type of strategic organizational communication perspective shapes the environment, with emphasis on control, as discussed by Fredriksson and Pallas (2015). On the downside, it minimizes the importance of cooperation, coordination, and interdependence.
Talking doesn’t get your point across but listening does.
– Debasish Mridha
Your team should have clear communication objectives. If not rational, attainment of goals will be ambiguous privileging those in power and providing deniability. Moreover, the goal may not be coherent with the information passed on.
If you do not know, contact us to find out and receive clarification.
4. Creativity and Constraint in Organizational Communication
Hyland et. al (2015) defines the balance of creativity and constraint in organizational communication perspective as the moment-to-moment working out of strained transfer of information between individual creativity and organizational constraints.
A case by case use of this point of view is present in many organizations, in particular for the novel and innovative team in the software development department who encounter deadlines or financial limitations or have diverging goals with the team.
It has evolved into a culture of some sort.
Effective organizational communication
In conclusion, there is a unique interaction between the individual and company when addressing organizational communication perspectives. These separate entities engage one another in reconstructive communication, using signs, symbols, and words. Companies with effective organizational communication have had a 47 percent higher total return to shareholders compared to the least effective communicators. (Towers Watson)
Face-to-face is the most common mode of communication, selected primarily for content and symbolic reasons, whereas telephone and electronic mail typically are used only in the case of situational constraints.
Effective communicators in an organization inspire workers to reach for a common goal because everyone knows their responsibilities and how to perform them. Everyone knows when to pitch in when others in the organization need their help, and know when to ask for help, in return.
Grossman, D. (2011). The Cost of Poor Communications. The Holmes Report
Fredriksson, M., & Pallas, J. (2015). Strategic communication as institutional work. The Routledge handbook of strategic communication, 143-156.
Hyland, P. K., Lee, R. A., & Mills, M. J. (2015). Mindfulness at work: A new approach to improving individual and organizational performance. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 8(4), 576-602
Sotirin, P. J. (2014). Theories of organizational communication. The SAGE handbook of organizational communication: Advances in theory, research, and methods, 1-18
Watson Wyatt. (2004). Connecting Organizational Communication to Financial Performance—2003/2004 Communication ROI Study. Watson Wyatt: Worldwide Research Report.
Now, Its Your Turn to Share Your Insight on Effective Organizational Communication Perspective That Works in Your Business
What do you think?
Thank you for visiting and reading today! We’d be honored and thrilled if you choose to enjoy and follow along (see subscribe or follow option), promote, and/or share this blog.
Every Share Helps Us Grow
Let’s see your feedback in the comments section here below! We look forward to hearing from you.
Share to Facebook, Facebook Group, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Quota, Bloglovin, or your platform of choice. ?? Use those social sharing buttons at the bottom of this page, if you found this article valuable!
- Join ThExtraordinariOnly by Email instantly, and you will be the first to receive our latest blog post and updates. We rank the Top 100 small business blogs, websites, and influencers on the Internet.
- Follow us on Medium, Pinterest, and Instagram.
- Find us on Facebook.
- See our video collection and subscribe to our channel on YouTube.
- Let us engage one-on-one on Twitter too. We will follow you right back because you are awesome.
- Pin with us on Pinterest to drive actively engaged traffic that converts to your website.
- Start looping with us instantly for massive exposure to your online digital footprint.
- Discover what other content creators, bloggers, and writers are doing through the Monday and Thursday blog club on Twitter too, and interact one-on-one.
Ps. Try this great platform for independent business owners and network marketers. This invitation gives you free credits, to begin with!
Subscribe to our newsletter for FREE for more tips, hacks, tweaks, and DIY tutorials related to most apt organizational communication perspectives not found anywhere else on the ThExtraordinariOnly website.
***We would like to note that this post and most posts on our blog may contain affiliate links. This means that if you purchase something that has an affiliate link, we will get a commission from it. Not all items recommended on our site are affiliate links. We only recommend items that we have used and tried. These items have brought us much success and we highly recommend them to you in order to be successful. The opinions on this page are our own and we don’t receive additional bonuses for positive reviews. Thank you for your trust!
You’ll also love
- Distinct Differences Between Goals and Objectives: Criteria to Prepare Long-Term Objectives Used in Startup and Small Business Knockout Planning Structure [Part 7]
- Bold Bloggers link up with ThExtraordinariOnly traffic jam weekend link party 305 for seasoned and unseasoned content creators
- 3 Gruesome Genocides Link to Badgering Bullying: Complex Group Phenomenon – Interaction of Diverse Activities & Social Dynamics Create Bullies [Relationships]
- 3 best ways to get your finances in order before year 2022 is over, even if you have no finance background – handling finances quagmire
- Why is it complicated and problematic to draw a legal line in legalizing or banning controlled substances? Federal controlled substances act summary (1971)