How to write killer book reviews that draw readers to take action – Examples, tools, strategies for a full elite writerpreneurship business
You are here because you have decided to pursue writing book reviews that help authors as a career. There are two hooks to think about when writing book reviews that are blood curling.
This blog post is an informational article on ‘how to write a book review’ and ‘writing helpful blog reviews.’
Hint: Do not wait until the middle of your review to try to catch the reader’s attention. When writing the ultimate book reviews that draw readers in, try to hook them from the very first sentence.
You can check out our list of specific nonfiction book review examples published on ThExtraordinariOnly blog for more insight.
Also, for you loyal reader who has a way with words, or a proffesional writer with a wide range of experience, this is why you should write for us.
- What is A Book Review?
- Writing the Best Rated Book Reviews
- 5 Steps for Follow When Writing Non Fiction Book Reviews Template
- The Scope of Writing Top Non Fiction Books Review
- Did Amazon Remove Your Book Reviews?
- Have You Ever Used Other Amazon Review Options?
- Is Writing Bombastic Book Reviews Work?
- Other Aspects of Book Review Writing to Think About
- Can You Write on Non Fiction Book Reviews Site?
- A. Work with review sites
- B. When writing buoyant book reviews on rewards sites
- C. Set up your own blog for writing blockbuster book reviews as a business
- Tap into the sea of passive income from a blog you own when writing professional book reviews
- Copywriting and writing recurring income earning book reviews
- Brisk benefits of writing book reviews on a platform that you own
- Other factors to consider in posh writing of book reviews on your blog
- Successful book review writing service
- Bonuses for Self Published Indie Authors for Books Reviewed and Published at ThExtraordinariOny
- What do You Struggle With When it Comes to Writing Book Reviews?
- You’ll love
What is A Book Review?
Writing winning book reviews is the act of a critical evaluation of a text, event, object, or phenomenon. Reviews can make or break a books, articles, entire genres or fields of literature. They are also used in architecture, art, fashion, restaurants, policies, exhibitions, performances, and many other forms.
What kind of thinking do you need to use in writing beneficial reviews? Its the kind of thinking you need to make intelligent choices in life.
Writing mind-blowing book reviews is something that can be done every genre. Some genres may be harder than others. Notwithstanding, writing nonfiction or fiction book reviews, the format remains the same.
See this example of a fiction book review published at ThExtraordinariOnly website: Book Review Beyond the Bay by Rebecca Burns
Writing the Best Rated Book Reviews
You may have the preference of writing amazing Amazon book reviews or affiliate marketing book reviews.
You could also be a book reviewer of books that address sensitive social issues in society.
So far the highest demand of writing bracing book reviews is found for:
- Poker book reviews
- Photo books reviews
- Romance book reviews
- Book review satire
- Fantasy book reviews
- Children’s book reviews
- Biography book review
- Christian book reviews
- Teens book reviews
- Marriage book review
Which is your favorite?
For non fiction book review tools that support self published indie authors, reach out and ask for your personalized package.
5 Steps for Follow When Writing Non Fiction Book Reviews Template
Our preference at ThExtraordinariOnly is writing bathetic book reviews in support of self published indie authors.
We love being real!
Sit tight as we explore the guide that we follow when curating and writing mordant non fiction book reviews.
1. Start with The Hook
Hook the reader with your opening sentence.
Set the tone of the review.
Be familiar with the guidelines
- Some editors want plot summaries; others don’t
- Some want you to say outright if you recommend a book, but not others.
Review the book you read — not the book you wish the author had written.
2. The Middle
- As a general rule, try to avoid writing in detail. Leave out anything that happens from about the middle of the book onwards.
- If the book is part of a series, it can be useful to mention this.
- Don’t forget this. Mention whether you think you’d need to have read other books in the series to enjoy the current one.
3. Write More on What the Book Means to You
The art of writing authentic book reviews is telling what a book is about. Also, is shares insight into how successful it is at what it is trying to do.
Professors often assign book reviews as practice in careful analytical reading. As a reviewer, you bring together the two strands of accurate:
A. Analytical reading
B. Strong personal response
This is true when you indicate what the book is about. What might it mean to a reader? Explain what it meant to you.
4. Set up Your Book Review to Flow
- All exceptional pieces of writing should have an introduction, and penning down book reviews are no exception.
- Open with a general description of the topic and/or problem addressed by the work in question.
- Think, if possible, of a hook to draw your readers in.
- Close with a summary of the argument.
Your review should, as concisely as possible, summarize the book’s argument.
5. Write the Book Reviews Structure
There are different book review structures. The key review tips to consider depend on the book and genre. Whichever the format used, these should be inclusive.
First, make a draft. The first step to writing successful book reviews is always to make a review draft. It is a rough outline for a book review.
- Start with a heading that includes the book’s title, author, place of publication, publisher, date of publication, and the number of pages.
- Then, open your review with an introduction that includes the author’s background as well as the main points you’ll be making.
Remember, if you need more specific example and tips, go read this follow-up book review blog post to better understand how to write real and rousing non fiction book reviews for your favorite authors.
The Scope of Writing Top Non Fiction Books Review
The art of writing beguiling nonfiction book reviews is inclusive of a critical analysis of the work. You have to:
- Read the book
- Determine the author’s thesis, or theme
- Decide if the author successfully achieved his goals for the book and why
When you discuss the author’s research methods, source materials, theme, plot
Do not reveal plot twists or character players. Share more on:
- Who was your favorite character?
- Why did that character stand out?
- Observe the outline and how you feel about the book.
Did Amazon Remove Your Book Reviews?
Common Mistakes When Writing Alluring Amazon Book Reviews
As we have seen so far, writing ravishing reviews for Amazon and getting paid may sound unreal, but it is as real.
The reviews are so valuable that some Amazon sellers go out of their way and ignore Amazon’s review policy to get reviews on their products.
Amazon reviews are the key to success on Amazon, but sellers must get Amazon reviews the right way or risk account suspension or closure. This guide covers how to get reviews on Amazon the right way to help drive higher search rankings and sales.
Amazon Deletes and Rejects Book Reviews
Amazon banned the writing of baroque book reviews from not only family and friends but also from authors’ social media contacts.
Recently, an extremely nasty and very quiet change took place on Amazon book review policies.
An Amazon book review cannot be posted for free eBooks.
The Customer Review Creation Guidelines page has no date or date of the change. So it’s impossible to know when this change was made.
Are you still giving away free Kindle eBooks in the hope of gaining new reviews? If you demand a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review, you are in for a big surprise – writing such book reviews is a big NO on the Amazon platform.
Who May Write a Book Review on Amazon?
To contribute to Customer Reviews or Customer Answers, Spark, or to follow other contributors, you must have spent at least $50 on Amazon.com using a valid credit or debit card.
If Amazon seemingly deems that you have a ‘personal’ connection, any book review is rejected.
It is proven that after exchanging a few messages on Twitter or LinkedIn, we have a personal relationship. Though Amazon prohibits reviews from close friends and family, you’re free to tell your social media followers about your book and hope that they will be writing genuine and good reviews.
Example of Amazon Reviews that Do Not Show Up
When the “how to get out of debt free book” was published on Amazon, we asked our loyal fans and readers to screenshot the reviews they submitted on Amazon.
The screen shots started flowing in.
We also saw other book reviews that times showed up on “CRAWL OUTTA DEBT NOW: Five Secret Steps to Get Debt-Free Today Exposed – Successful Strategies of Wealth Creation, Victory Over Debt, and Money Matters” eBook by Hazlo Emma and Emma Don on Amazon and other times the reviews did not show up!
On further investigation, we have still not found an answer on to why this is the case – as at the date of updating this blog post – eight months after publishing the eBook on Amazon.
Well for us, this gave us the inspiration to test how to efficiently:
- Deliver other upcoming books to our target audience right from our website.
- Use other online platforms like Selz, Gumroad or Payhip that give a user the option to market and sell digital products
Ps. Be on the lookout for an email notification from ThExtraordinariOnly for the information, education, tools and resources to improve your life and business. Make sure you hop in together with other rockstars of ThExtraordianriOnly budding fan club today or respond to this verification message for email subscription request or continue to subscribe here to get notified of the latest trends, features, resources and tools that affect your life and business!
Are you Thrilled to Join the Rockstars Budding Fan Club?
You may provide free or discounted copies of your books to readers. However, you may not demand a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review. Offering anything other than a free or discounted copy of the book—including gift cards—will invalidate a review, and we’ll have to remove it.
It obviously helps if you have a large following on Twitter or Instagram, even more so if some of those followers are fellow authors who appreciate the significance of reviews. As most authors will tell you, getting your book reviewed can be a powerful metric that should have a positive effect on your Kindle sales.
If you believe in reading Paperback copies – and not eBooks – Get in here today an say yes, ‘I’m in!’
Yes, I Want to Grab my Copy of Crawl Outta Debt Now in Paperback!
Have You Ever Used Other Amazon Review Options?
Amazon Vine Program
Now, the only reviews that can be incentivized must come through Amazon’s own Vine program and for products other than books.
- This might seem like a more credible option, but there is a catch: Amazon charges vendors an enrollment, unless they are facilitated through the Amazon Vine program.
- it’s not possible if you are under Seller Central to participate in the program.
Early Reviewer Program
Amazon has introduced another review program that sellers of products can take advantage of – the Early Reviewer Program.
- Registration is quite easy
- It is cheaper than Amazon Vine in price
- You are only charged when you receive an actual review through this program
- The number of reviews is limited to 5 though
Is Writing Bombastic Book Reviews Work?
There are companies that publish book reviews of thousands of books in a variety of different genres. These companies regularly seek reviewers, bloggers, and publicists to write 250 to 300-word reviews of books for publication on their company’s site.
Also, when you research on the internet, there are authors who have successfully established home based businesses centered around the publishing and marketing of books, plus writing of swashbuckling book reviews.
Even if you are writing secret book reviews where you remain anonymous, putting all what to stay in a book review is not a joke. Yes, it is writing a scathing or uplifting book review, but does it help the authors?
Other Aspects of Book Review Writing to Think About
There are many aspects of boisterous book reviews writing which should be taken care of.
Let us look at some of them briefly.
- In order to learn all about the writing poise book reviews, you need to do research.
- You need to have an in-depth knowledge of the appropriate style guide. Are you up to date on current trends in publishing and conventions for each specific genre you work in? Then you have some head start.
- Many times authors will seek out book reviewers for future testimonials, which can lead to greater exposure for the book meaning, future work for the book reviewers.
- There is copy editing, line editing and proofreading – highly skilled positions that require specific education and training – which you, as a budding book reviewer, can offer at an additional fee
Can You Write on Non Fiction Book Reviews Site?
A. Work with review sites
One of the best ways to get paid to review Amazon products is to work with book review websites.
These websites connect reviewers who are looking to make money and with Amazon authors who need some positive written book reviews.
- They post available books for review on their site.
- You (the book blogger or reviewer) research to think about whether a partnership with one of these book reviewer companies is a good way for you to make some extra cash while doing something you love to do – lifting your game in writing book reviews.
What if book review sites contact you to write book reviews for specific books?
Reputable book review sites are great to help you get a feel of what specific problem authors what your to solve. This is where I begun, but moved on to the business side of giving authors more value than just a book review.
- The book is usually in a genre that you are familiar with.
- You are provided with a short synopsis of it along with the invitation.
- If you accept, you are asked to read the book.
- And then honestly, fairly and objectively analyze your thoughts in accordance with their review standards (Not putting words in your mouth).
It is competitive to get hired by review sites. A small error could get your application eliminated – terminating your writing career for book reviews.
You just need to take a peek at Kirkus book reviews nonfiction or a New York Times book review to get an idea!
Thus, writing outstanding book reviews is not the kind of job you just pick up to make some money – though there are surprisingly smart ways to earn an income from the skill.
In a few paragraphs, we will see how.
B. When writing buoyant book reviews on rewards sites
Do you want to get paid in kind to give your opinion, as you do when you write Amazon reviews? This is a good option.
When you take short surveys, answer polls, and provide brands with valuable feedback, you are rewarded with points. These are redeemable in cash or gift cards for popular retailers and brands like Amazon.
C. Set up your own blog for writing blockbuster book reviews as a business
The moment you set up a blog, you are in control. How good that feels.
You control the narrative. No bans. Book reviews are never hidden. No following or unfollowing anyone.
You set the community guidelines, rules, terms and conditions but adhere to FTC guidelines. This allows your creativity to grow as you not only write reviews of books, but also a range of other products and services, including using affiliate programs like Amazon Associates of Amazon, or the leading global retailer (ClickBank), JVZoo or WarriorPus.
Tap into the sea of passive income from a blog you own when writing professional book reviews
As your blog gets more with monthly stats of massive monthly page views and unbridled unique visitors, you have a chance to create an organically growing online business. If your monthly page views are less than 10,000, your writing book reviews fees could be introductory.
When you hit numbers like over 35,000, the game changes. As your blog grows and traffic increases, prices increase. Your engagement rate on your socials contributes to your fees for marketing campaigns of the book review.
Copywriting and writing recurring income earning book reviews
Since you are picking this up as a serious business venture, proceed to factor in the pain point and problem that your are solving for your clients – in this case authors. I am yet to meet an author who has had enough sales. Anyone?
Add copywriting to writing your loyal authors’ book reviews, and you are way ahead of the pack that gets less than $100 per review online. Google online. You can get a 300-word piece of copywriting at a mere $500. When you writing book reviews from the stand point of a copywriter, then a 300-word or 500-word piece of content is basic really.
Brisk benefits of writing book reviews on a platform that you own
Creative control is 100% in your hands on your own platform. A book review published on your blog has taken up rent space.
Add the use of multiple touch points of digital marketing like Pinterest, Webtalk, Hub, MeWe, Flipboard, Vimeo, and other premium community groups as an added advantage of an author using your executive writing services of book reviews. The amount of time it takes to create the different content types of each platform and your expertise are fantastic income earners.
What if the author wants to use your catchy book review in their paid marketing channels e.g., social posts, email marketing, billboards, commercials website, marketing channels, billboard, magazine or TV? That is an extra income to you. Get compensated for usage rights when and author profits off your book review, brand, and likeness.
Factor in 3 months or 6 months or 9 months worldwide digital rights usage.
Why? You can not guarantee perpetual usage rights since authors evolve, uncertainties arise (case of covid_19), businesses shut down, etc. Best case in point is from every business that is on the Internet – broken links are music to our ears – websites shut down too.
Other factors to consider in posh writing of book reviews on your blog
Is the author’s book about a sensitive topic like CBD, Politics, etc.? A premium rate is in order.
What is the total scope of work needed to put together the book review? Batch together the needs of the author and give a reasonable discount.
If the authors want a a quick turn around time, of say less than a week, in writing and publishing their book reviews, charge a rush fee.
It is only fair and humane to give an author a 48-hour window of exclusivity as you grow in your book reviews writing business. If the author demands 7 or more days of exclusivity, feel free to negotiate a fair rate.
Successful book review writing service
Are you still with me?
At this point, tell me why starting top-notch writing book reviews is not a business?
What else have I left out?
Bonuses for Self Published Indie Authors for Books Reviewed and Published at ThExtraordinariOny
Each author not only wants to see sales, but a wider readership of their book.
At ThExraordinariony, we do not shy away from using piquant Pinterest strategies in driving more eyeballs of qualified leads to the books that we review.
We also participate in both Monday blog club and Thursday blog club in our critical content marketing strategy. Each book blog of a fiction or nonfiction bewitching book review published on ThextraordinariOnly website is part of our cool content marketing schedule.
We have seen awesome interaction and website traffic increase. It is our most sincere desire to see you make money from this winsome website traffic and impetus interaction with our readership.
Thanks for reading!
What do You Struggle With When it Comes to Writing Book Reviews?
Share with us here below today.
If you have any questions, leave your comment using the comment section below. I’ll get straight back to you!
If you enjoyed this blog:
Follow me on my profile Hazlo Emma on Quora
My Twitter handle is Hazloe3
- View my reviews on Goodreads and let me know what you think.
- Subscribe to ThExtraordinariOnly by email now for updates on this post and future published blog posts.
If you want your book reviewed, see our book reviewing policy and rules.
- Don’t forget to pin and loop with us instantly on Pinterest for extreme social media engagement and massive exposure. Start here on ThExtraordinariOnly9 Pinterest profile.
- Show your appreciation and support for self-published indie authors today. Sign up now and join our email list with your name and email address here to receive other ThExtraordinariOnly tips and insights for rock stars budding fan club only. We would love for you to experience the joyous website juice of being ranked Top 100 small business websites and blogs to follow on the Internet, as we have since 2019.
***We would like to note that this post and most posts on our blog may contain affiliate links. This means that if you purchase something that has an affiliate link, we will get a commission from it. Not all items recommended on our site are affiliate links. We only recommend items that we have used and tried. These items have brought us much success and we highly recommend them to you in order to be successful. The opinions on this page are our own and we don’t receive additional bonuses for positive reviews. Thank you for your trust!
As an Amazon Associate, ThExtraordinariOnly earns from qualifying purchases.
- Book Review They Slay Me by Holland C. Kirbo Is a Mirror into the Way of Life Raising Triplets, Each Projecting Their Identity
- 3 Secrets On How To Date Success If You Want To Marry It Like Sensationally Successful Boman Irani Did
- Clear business writing – how to use plain language to save money [4 top tips effective and essential for business writers]