How to Write Killer Book Review That Draw Readers to Take Action – With Examples (Tools and Strategies)
There are two hooks to think about when writing bloodcurdling book reviews. First, how to make a reader stop scrolling and read your entire review. Second, in cases of positive reviews, how to convince them to pick up the book boldly.
This is basics of “how to write a book review.”
Do not wait until the middle of your review to try to catch the reader’s attention. When writing the ultimate book reviews that draw readers in, try to hook them from the very first sentence.
Master the writing of glowing book reviews.
You can check out our list of specific nonfiction book review examples written by our Hazlo Emma for more insight.
What is A Book Review?
A review is a critical evaluation of a text, event, object, or phenomenon. Reviews can consider books, articles, entire genres or fields of literature, architecture, art, fashion, restaurants, policies, exhibitions, performances, and many other forms.
The kind of thinking you need to use in writing beneficial reviews is the kind of thinking you need to make intelligent choices in life.
Writing mind-blowing book reviews is something that can be done every genre. Some genres may be harder than others. Notwithstanding, to write nonfiction or fiction book reviews, the format remains the same.
See this example of a fiction book review published at ThExtraordinariOnly website: Book Review Beyond the Bay by Rebecca Burns
Writing the Best Rated Book Reviews
You may have the preference of writing amazing Amazon book reviews or affiliate marketing book reviews.
You could also be a book reviewer of books that address sensitive social issues in society.
So far the highest demand of writing bracing book reviews is found for:
- Poker book reviews
- Photo books reviews
- Romance book reviews
- Book review satire
- Fantasy book reviews
- Children’s book reviews
- Biography book review
- Christian book reviews
- Teens book reviews
- Marriage book review
Which is your favorite?
For non fiction book review tools that support self published indie authors, reach out and ask for your personalized package.
5 Steps for Follow When Writing Non Fiction Book Reviews Template
Our preference at ThExtraordinariOnly is writing bathetic book reviews in support of self published indie authors.
We love being real!
Sit tight as we explore the guide that we follow when making mordant non fiction book reviews.
1. Start with The Hook
Hook the reader with your opening sentence.
Set the tone of the review.
Be familiar with the guidelines
- Some editors want plot summaries; others don’t
- Some want you to say outright if you recommend a book, but not others.
Review the book you read — not the book you wish the author had written.
2. The Middle
- As a general rule, try to avoid writing in detail about anything that happens from about the middle of the book onwards.
- If the book is part of a series, it can be useful to mention this.
- Don’t forget to mention whether you think you’d need to have read other books in the series to enjoy the current one.
3. Write More on What the Book Means to You
A written book review tells not only what a book is about, but also how successful it is at what it is trying to do.
Professors often assign book reviews as practice in careful analytical reading. As a reviewer, you bring together the two strands of accurate:
A. Analytical reading
B. Strong personal response
This is true when you indicate what the book is about and what it might mean to a reader (by explaining what it meant to you).
4. Set up Your Book Review to Flow
- All exceptional pieces of writing should have an introduction, and book reviews are no exception.
- Open with a general description of the topic and/or problem addressed by the work in question.
- Think, if possible, of a hook to draw your readers in.
- Close with a summary of the argument.
Your review should, as concisely as possible, summarize the book’s argument.
5. Write the Book Reviews Structure
There are different book review structures. The key review tips to consider depend on the book and genre. Whichever the format used, these should be inclusive.
First, make a draft. The first step to writing successful book reviews is always to make a review draft. It is a rough outline for a book review.
- Start with a heading that includes the book’s title, author, place of publication, publisher, date of publication, and the number of pages.
- Then, open your review with an introduction that includes the author’s background as well as the main points you’ll be making.
Remember, if you need more specific example and tips, go read our follow-up book blog post of https://thextraordinarionly.com/book-review-worlds-fastest-neurosurgeon/ to better understand how to write an authentic, yet rousing non fiction book review for your favorite author.
The Scope of Writing Top Non Fiction Books Review
The art of writing beguiling nonfiction book reviews is inclusive of a critical analysis of the work. You have to:
- Read the book
- Determine the author’s thesis, or theme
- Decide if the author successfully achieved his goals for the book and why
When you discuss the author’s research methods, source materials, theme, plot
Do not reveal plot twists or character players. Share more on:
- Who was your favorite character?
- Why did that character stand out?
- Observe the outline and how you feel about the book.
Did Amazon Remove Your Book Reviews?
Common Mistakes When Writing Alluring Amazon Book Reviews
As we have seen so far, writing ravishing reviews for Amazon and getting paid may sound unreal, but it is as real.
The reviews are so valuable that some Amazon sellers go out of their way and ignore Amazon’s review policy to get reviews on their products.
Amazon reviews are the key to success on Amazon, but sellers must get Amazon reviews the right way or risk account suspension or closure. This guide covers how to get reviews on Amazon the right way to help drive higher search rankings and sales.
Amazon Deletes and Rejects Book Reviews
Amazon banned the writing of baroque book reviews from not only family and friends but also from authors or social media contacts.
Recently, an extremely nasty and very quiet change took place on Amazon book review policies.
An Amazon book review cannot be posted for free eBooks.
The Customer Review Creation Guidelines page has no date or date of the change. So it’s impossible to know when this change was made.
Are you still giving away free Kindle eBooks in the hope of gaining new reviews? If you demand a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review, you are in for a big surprise – no such book reviews are allowed in Amazon.
Who May Write a Book Review on Amazon?
To contribute to Customer Reviews or Customer Answers, Spark, or to follow other contributors, you must have spent at least $50 on Amazon.com using a valid credit or debit card.
If Amazon seemingly deems that you have a ‘personal’ connection, any book review is rejected.
It is proven that after exchanging a few messages on Twitter or LinkedIn, we have a personal relationship. Though Amazon prohibits reviews from close friends and family, you’re free to tell your social media followers about your book and hope that they will leave good reviews.
Example of Amazon Reviews that Do Not Show Up
When the “how to get out of debt free book” was published on Amazon, we asked our loyal fans and readers to screenshot the reviews they submitted on Amazon.
The screen shots started flowing in.
We also saw other book reviews that times showed up on “CRAWL OUTTA DEBT NOW: Five Secret Steps to Get Debt-Free Today Exposed – Successful Strategies of Wealth Creation, Victory Over Debt, and Money Matters” eBook by Hazlo Emma and Emma Don on Amazon and other times the reviews did not show up!
On further investigation, we have still not found an answer on to why this is the case – as at the date of updating this blog post – eight months after publishing the eBook on Amazon.
Well for us, this gave us the inspiration to test how to efficiently:
- Deliver other upcoming books to our target audience right from our website.
- Use other online platforms like Selz, Gumroad or Payhip that give a user the option to market and sell digital products
Ps. Be on the lookout for an email notification from ThExtraordinariOnly for the information, education, tools and resources to improve your life and business. Make sure you hop in together with other rockstars of ThExtraordianriOnly budding fan club today or respond to this verification message for email subscription request or subscribe here to get notified of the latest trends, features, resources and tools that affect your life and business!
Are you Thrilled to Join the Rockstars Budding Fan Club?
You may provide free or discounted copies of your books to readers. However, you may not demand a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review. Offering anything other than a free or discounted copy of the book—including gift cards—will invalidate a review, and we’ll have to remove it.
It obviously helps if you have a large following on Twitter or Instagram, even more so if some of those followers are fellow authors who appreciate the significance of reviews. As most authors will tell you, getting your book reviewed can be a powerful metric that should have a positive effect on your Kindle sales.
If you believe in reading Paperback copies – and not eBooks – Get in here today an say yes, ‘I’m in!’
Yes, I Want to Grab my Copy of Crawl Outta Debt Now in Paperback!
Have You Ever Used Other Amazon Review Options?
Amazon Vine Program
Now, the only reviews that can be incentivized must come through Amazon’s own Vine program and for products other than books.
- This might seem like a more credible option, but there is a catch: Amazon charges vendors an enrollment, unless they are facilitated through the Amazon Vine program.
- it’s not possible if you are under Seller Central to participate in the program.
Early Reviewer Program
Amazon has introduced another review program that sellers of products can take advantage of – the Early Reviewer Program.
- Registration is quite easy
- It is cheaper than Amazon Vine in price
- You are only charged when you receive an actual review through this program
- The number of reviews is limited to 5 though
Is Writing Bombastic Book Reviews Work?
There are companies that publish book reviews of thousands of books in a variety of different genres. These companies regularly seek reviewers, bloggers, and publicists to write 250 to 300-word reviews of books for publication on their company’s site.
Also, when you research on the internet, there are authors who have successfully established home based businesses centered around the publishing and marketing of books, plus writing of swashbuckling book reviews.
Even if you are writing secret book reviews where you remain anonymous, making a book review is not always easy.
Other Aspects of Book Review Writing to Think About
There are many aspects of boisterous book reviews writing which should be taken care of.
Let us look at some of them briefly.
- In order to learn all about the book reviewing task, you need to do research.
- You need to have an in-depth knowledge of the appropriate style guide. Are you up to date on current trends in publishing and conventions for each specific genre you work in? Then you have some head start.
- Many times authors will seek out book reviewers for future testimonials, which can lead to greater exposure for the book and future work for the book reviewers.
- There is copy editing, line editing and proofreading – skilled positions that require specific education and training – which youm, as a book reviewer, can offer at an additional fee
Can You Write on Non Fiction Book Reviews Site?
A. Work with review sites
One of the best ways to get paid to review Amazon products is to work with book review websites.
These websites connect reviewers who are looking to make money and with Amazon authors who need some positive written book reviews.
- They post available books for review on their site.
- You (the book blogger or reviewer) research to think about whether a partnership with one of these book reviewer companies is a good way for you to make some extra cash while doing something you love to do.
What if a book review sites contact you to write book reviews for specific books?.
- The book is usually in a genre that you are familiar with.
- You are provided with a short synopsis of it along with the invitation.
- If you accept, you are asked to read the book.
- And then honestly, fairly and objectively analyze your thoughts in accordance with their review standards (Not putting words in your mouth).
It is competitive to get hired by review sites. A small error could get your application eliminated.
You just need to take a peek at Kirkus book reviews nonfiction or a New York Times book review to get an idea!
Thus, writing outstanding book reviews is not the kind of job you just pick up to make some money.
B. Set up your own blog for writing blockbuster book reviews
This allows you to not only write reviews of books, but also a range of other products using affiliate programs like Amazon Associates of Amazon.
C. When writing buoyant book reviews on rewards sites
Do you want to get paid in kind to give your opinion, as you do when you write Amazon reviews? This is a good option.
When you take short surveys, answer polls, and provide brands with valuable feedback, you are rewarded with points. These are redeemable in cash or gift cards for popular retailers and brands like Amazon.
Bonuses for Self Published Indie Authors for Books Reviewed and Published at ThExtraordinariOny
Each author not only wants to see sales, but a wider readership of their book.
At ThExraordinariony, we do not shy away from using piquant Pinterest strategies in driving more eyeballs of qualified leads to the books that we review.
We also participate in both Monday blog club and Thursday blog club in our critical content marketing strategy. Each book blog of a fiction or nonfiction bewitching book review published on ThextraordinariOnly website is part of our cool content marketing schedule.
We have seen awesome interaction and website traffic increase. It is our most sincere desire to see you make money from this winsome website traffic and impetus interaction with our readership.
Thanks for reading!
What do You Struggle With When it Comes to Writing Book Reviews?
Share with us here below today.
If you have any questions, leave your comment using the comment section below. I’ll get straight back to you!
- View my reviews on Goodreads here and let me know what you think.
- Subscribe to ThExtraordinariOnly by Email for updates on this post and future blogs published.
If you want your book reviewed, see our book reviewing policy and rules.
- Don’t forget to Pin and loop with us instantly for extreme social media engagement and massive exposure.
- Show your appreciation and support for self-published indie authors by joining our email list with your name and email address to receive other tips and insights for members only. We would love for you to experience the joyous website juice of being ranked Top 100 small business websites and blogs to follow on the Internet.
***We would like to note that this post and most posts on our blog may contain affiliate links. This means that if you purchase something that has an affiliate link, we will get a commission from it. Not all items recommended on our site are affiliate links. We only recommend items that we have used and tried. These items have brought us much success and we highly recommend them to you in order to be successful. The opinions on this page are our own and we don’t receive additional bonuses for positive reviews. Thank you for your trust!
As an Amazon Associate, ThExtraordinariOnly earns earn from qualifying purchases.