Blustering Bullying Is A Hostile Activity: Arrogance In Action, Utter Contempt Without Remorse, Empathy or Compassion
Bullying is a conscious, willful, deliberate, hostile activity intended to harm, where one gets pleasure from somebody else’s pain (Coloroso, 2014).
It’s often wrongly considered as a ‘normal rite of passage.’ What an audacity! And worse still, bullies are bullied too!
Who is a typical bully?
A typical bully not only exhibits significant disruptive or external behavior but also suffers from internal symptoms such as depression. Boys are more involved in this hectoring act than girs.
Other features include:
- These children are not socially competent
- They struggle academically
- Possess negative attitudes and beliefs about others
- Hold negative thoughts about themselves
- They have trouble resolving conflict with others
- Come from a family environment characterized by conflict and poor parental monitoring
- See school as having a negative atmosphere
- They tend to be negatively influenced by their peers
Bullying is defined as aggressive behavior or repetitive intentional harm-doing by peers and involves an imbalance of power, either actual or perceived, between the victim and the bully
Unfortunately, belligerent bullying is a global public health problem that impacts on personal growth and development of a child’s, adolescent’s and adult’s health.
The following quote states it better …
Scratch an actor and underneath you will find another actor.Anonymous Playwright
To find a further shocking revelation of what browbeat bullying grows into if not handled early in life, see Barbara Coloroso‘s TedX Talk video below.
Related study: Social Media Bullying Smackdown!
Multiple variables and environmental issues contribute to and influence bullying. Therefore, altering the context without a focus on changing individuals and vice versa is a limiting approach.
Bullies are more likely to be convicted of criminal offenses as a adults. They suffer from greater psychiatric problems. A bully has difficulty with relationships and abuses substances.
Personality of victims
- Lack adequate social skills
- Have negative thoughts about themselves
- Experience difficulty solving social problems
- Come from a negative community, family and school environment
- They are typically rejected and isolated by peers
One category of bully victims experiences both disruptive and non-disruptive problems with significant negative attitudes and beliefs about themselves. They are low in social competence, struggle to socially problem solve, perform poorly academically and are not only rejected but neglected by peers. These young ones have a negative influence on the peers with whom they interact.
How To Analyze and Investigate
To kick this off, there exists a very vital and important step needed to analyze and investigate the daunting pressure of bullying.
Their statement aids in the scrutiny of the evidence of the occurrence of daring bullying.
Knowing what’s right doesn’t mean much unless you do what’s right.
― Theodore Roosevelt
The expertise applied by Coloroso further aids in;
- An in-depth expose of the causes and definition of compulsive bullying,
- Prediction of events,
- and the development of an intervention, especially the consequential stand of a defender or resistor to the activity.
Effective Research into Overbearing Bullying Activities
The definition of the most critical step of research is getting to the core of the specific activity or scenario.
Since in this case, its ballyrag bullying, ask the correct questions to meet the objective. Then test a hypothesis to produce new knowledge. The outcome of the research should be executed, analyzed, discussed, and concluded.
Socialization Agents of Tyrannical Bullying
Bossy bullying is a creation of the dynamics of social relationship. It results from the interaction of diverse activities by different forces, processes, and power.
The target could be bullied based on a different skin color, religion, gender, physical and mental ability. Coloroso adds that bullies are dehumanized by the instigator, perpetrator, or planner of the activity. In this alarming abuse, the thrill of the unimaginable becomes conceivable, and eventually, cruelty is normalized, and obedience to authority is unquestioned.
Consequently, the bad behavior of bullying becomes a complex group phenomenon generated within social environments where peers interact with one another. For example, school, home, neighborhood, or community as in excluding an individual child.
Authorities in play are parents or teachers and school heads. They form an extensive social network that addresses strong-arm bullying in their environment.
8 Participants of a Truculent Bullying Activity
Coloroso (2014) further points out that frightening bullying activity does not occur in isolation. Instead, she points out that there are several participants.
Eight of the identified bullying participants include;
- the target (victim
- the bully (instigator,
- perpetrator or planner)
- the bully’s assistants or executors
- he active supporter of the activity
- the passive onlooker
- the disengaged spectator
- potential witness
One in three children report having been bullied at some point in their lives, and 10–14% experience chronic bullying lasting for more than 6 months.
Adults too can be bullies, just as children and teenagers.
Bullies are bullied
There are many causes of intimidator bullying that might surprise you. More about this in a future blog post.
For now, its good to note that adult bullies, often than not, were either bullies as children, or bullied as children. These adults are the perpetrators of work place tormenting and bullying, characterized by victimization, abuse, insults or oﬀensive language or comments. Other distinguishable work place harassments traits include violence, aggression or intimidating conduct.
Office bullies often use belittling or humiliating comments. They torment their colleagues using the brutal coercion of initiation or practical jokes.
Brutal Bullying in Three Genocides
Through an examination of three clearly defined genocides, i.e.,
the Armenian and Rwandan genocides,
and the European Holocaust
— Barbara Coloroso deconstructs the causes and consequences, both to its immediate victims and to the fabric of the world at large. She proposes the conditions that must exist in order to eradicate the evil of bullying from the world.
The strongest of the players in a cowing bullying activity is the witness resister and defender who is willing to take a stand with the excluded child.
The question, therefore, is the message the society, community, including those in authority, parents, teachers, etc cetra around the resistor and defender are sending out. There is a need to encourage children to ask questions in every hostile bullying activity or scenario that plays out.The strongest of the players in a bullying activity is the witness resister and defender who is willing to take a stand with the excluded child – Barbara Coloroso Click To Tweet
STOP bullying champions
All brave defenders and resistors of bullying should be applauded by parents, teachers, and community heads as discussed by Coloroso in the video below.
The most promising STOP bullies programs are those that focus on the individual, immediate family, and the broader community simultaneously to alter the course of the young children likely to become bullies, to be bullied or both.
A teacher is accountable to parents to ensure a transparent flow of information through open channels of communication to monitor any form of harassment in school, especially for children that seem excluded. A parent’s responsible actions at home play a great role in the influence of the decisions of their children when presented with a bullying activity.
Bring an End to Bullying
It is imperative for children to be brave-hearted and take courage to face the fear of intimidation. They too should defend targets of bullies. They should not be the bullied or be the perpetrators, neither be the innocent bystanders. Bullying is just a no – no!
It is the role of both parents and teachers to show children the value of standing up. It does not matter whether it is with their excluded peers at home, school, neighborhood, or community while under pressure. Comprehensive, multi-institutional, and community-wide solutions to address the violent behavior of young people while redressing the social conditions in which violence flourishes must be addressed.
Love is Greater than Hate
Brooks Gibbs, author of the book Love is Greater than Hate writes that the ultimate strategy to end bullying is soft answer (kindness).
Remember, hurt people hurt others. Bullies are bullied. A bully, in turn, bullies others.
What’s the solid framework to help bring an end to bullying in the society? Kindness and compassion.
Character development to turn away anger, rage, abuse is the end of bullying – which begins with you. Brooks add that LOVE is the most powerful virtue known to man. Love transforms enemies into friends.
So, join the movement to change the culture of our entire environment.
End of Bullying Begins with YOU
Everyone has to deal with their own personal prejudices, offences, and down right hateful feelings.
How do we wrap up this introduction to bullying?
Education on bullying issues and clear guidelines on what constitutes harassment
It is paramount to give children a voice to always ask the question ‘why?’ irrespective of the environment.
What do you think?
Found this article on bullying activity valuable? Want to show your appreciation? Here are some options:
Spread the word!
- Share this blog post on your favorite social media sites using the buttons on this page.
- Subscribe to ThExtraordinariOnly by email. This does not sign you up for the newsletter at all.
- Contribute by adding your feedback using the comments section below.
- Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, MeWe, Linkedin, Goodreads, Quora, and Bloglovin.
Can I help?
- Join me and nominate yourself or nominate other candidates for Global Entreps Awards in accordance with UN #SDGs. If you have any problem filling the form, contact us for instant support.
- Get more interactions and engagement from sharing your Pins with us on Pinterest.
- Sign up with your name and email address to subscribe to our email list. Join other influencers, change agents, and leaders taking a stand against any form of bullying activities. We are ranked Top 100 small business websites and blogs to follow on the Internet.
References to read further
- Cook C., Williams K., Guerra N., Kim T., and Sadek S. (2010). Predictors of Bullying and Victimization in Childhood and Adolescence: A Meta-analytic Investigation. Universities of Washington and California Riverside, School Psychology Quarterly.
- Coloroso B. (Jan 2014). From schoolyard bullying to genocide: TEDxCalgary. Alberta. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkG0nssouFg
- Olweus D. (1993). Bullying at school: What we know and what we can do. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Goldstein S. The science of bullying.
- Social Media Bullying Smackdown! Why Is Bullying A Social Issue? Its Prevention
- Kohlberg’s Stages of Moral Development: Moral Reasoning In Face of Moral Dilemma and Justice For Law Enforcement Officers
- Why is it complicated and problematic to draw a legal line in legalizing or banning controlled substances? Federal controlled substances act summary (1971)
Increase your knowledge base further
- The Organizational Communication Perspective That Matters – Does Mindful Flow of Information Coexist In Your Organizations?
- 5 perplexing pertinent patriarchy and domestic violence facts and worrying warning massive extent of patriarchy on domestic abuse -problem with enormous individual and societal consequences [Link party 319]
- How to quickly profit from the competition in niche markets: 5 most promising business tactics you must know to out-compete your competitors
- Why your end of year goals suck – 25 fresh insights revise today [Link party 340]
- 9 Top Tips to Write Great Content For Your Target Audience, NOT Just for Search Engines [Build Your Brand Online]
You’ll be interested
- 4 Steps To Extract Your First Gmail Email List That’s ONLY in Your Control and Already Exists [Including Yahoo, Outlook, AOL]
- Welcome to Traffic Jam Weekend Link Party 297
- What does AI mean? +420 TOP Artificial Intelligence (AI) Terms OUT There in the Marketplace
- 137 Great Business Strategy Quotes for Entrepreneurs Inspire You To Be a Better Strategy Execution Ninja
- Vision Statement to Make Your Dream a Reality: Doggedly Developing and Tinkering Vision Statements to Adapt Lest You Are Left Behind (Part 6)
- Clear business writing – how to use plain language to save money [4 top tips effective and essential for business writers]